APtravelnews-November 16th—Florence, S.C.—We met Holly Beaumier on a drive up I-95 towards our ultimate goal of visiting Vermont again. We stayed and played in her dog-friendly city enjoying great foods and fine accommodations, but most importantly: very friendly caring locals.
Last week, we had occasion to meet up with her again at the 5oth Anniversary of SEOPA held at Fontana Lake in N.C. She was in attendance to assist in spreading the word, along with other Counties CVB’s from all around the South about their respective excellent travel opportunities for tourists and other visitors.
Holly is a true professional and very passionate about Florence, S.C. and surrounding locals ability to offer great travel opportunities to everyone and anyone “stopping to smell the roses” off I-95 and from all around the USA and the world!
She introduced us to a whole set of opportunities that should encourage us all to make a reservation and head to Florence when possible. Here are some of them:
- Farm to table and what’s in season? The SC climate lends itself to agricultural produce year round. Local restaurants (we agree having enjoyed many of them) often change menus to serve locally sourced, in season foods.
- Middle Sparrow Ranch, SC’s only producer of farmstead cheese. Crafted on site from grass fed cows. The cheese has its own unique flavor. Other products are dairy and whey-fed pork.
- U-Pick farms offer strawberry, muscadine grapes, blueberries are ready from April through October.
- Tours are available at Ovis Hill Farm where they graze 250 sheep and provide high quality, natural foods.
- Fishing in local rivers how about giant catfish? Shad are caught in Hoop nets and even drop lines for “cats.”
- Hog Hunting on horseback? Inquire and Give it a go in SC.
- Cooper Black Recreation Area has National Sporting Dog field trials: there are equestrian trials in endurance and runs in this 7000 rolling acres of longleaf pine forests and the fields provide the ultimate venue for these and much more events.
- Birding: More than 100 species of migratory birds to spot at. Take your binocular to Woods Bay State Natural Area.
- There are so many other things to see and do: Camp, be an Archeologist, check out enigmatic Carolina Bays, the Darlington Marathon races, Marsh Tacky Horses, a South Carolina Horse with stripes dating to Revolutionary times, Heart of Carolina’s 3-day horse competitions, The Kings Three Trails with great jockeys, Lancing tournament on horseback started in 1899. These opportunities and too many others are in and around Florence, SC. For more info. Go: visitflo.com 843-664-0330